FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > PM in Intensive Care...
566 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12730
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Had to laugh at the quote from one of the parents of the nurse looking after Bojo.

"I just find it incredible she, any nurses, can do this for 12 hours," Caroline MGee said.
"Sit and watch a patient, and twiddle away with all the different knobs to keep their patients alive."

Bumbling Boris is definitely a full-on knob. icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "On the subject of government advisors, it was clear from the start that, Boris Johnson chose to flank himself with 2 health experts, so that he couldn't be blamed if things didn't go to plan.
Quite amazing that "we will go with the science" on this one but, on EVERY other aspect of government, they do as they please.
The scientists and experts on climate change, still remain largely ignored and if they are correct, the effects of the world heating up could be equally as catastrophic, albeit, not necessarily in the UK.

The UK is on course to suffer the highest number of deaths in Europe, despite Germany and France having larger populations, Germany seemingly getting through this rather better than the UK.

Lets see how it all unfolds and hope that the peak is getting very close and that at some point in the next few weeks, the light at the end of the tunnel will get a little brighter.'"

Thought we'd had enough of experts according to Gove.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11895No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
White Backgrounds/Statler.gif
:White Backgrounds/Statler.gif

What a miraculous recovery. Looks very wel for someone’s who just come out of the ICU. Also ignoring advice (again) to stay clear of people for two weeks after recovery.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: wrencat1873 "Indeed

Patel and Hancock pretty much blaming frontline staff for using too much PPE.
True colours shining through.

The current government will NEVER admit any failure or wrong doing.

The procurement of the equipment needed here must be extremely difficult but, rather than admitting this, instead, they like to quote numbers in their 100,000's of how many pairs of gloves and aprons have been sourced.
None of this matters if the front line staff havent got protective gloves or scrubs to use. Like I said a few weeks ago, too many here are too biased or not paying attention.

In almost every briefing I've seen attended by Whitty and Vallance, they have openly and honestly referenced the global shortage of PPE and the difficulties in distribution and supply, as well as the difficulties faced by procurement. You must have somehow missed all of this. Yes, as you mention, China was in lockdown - but that's just part of the issue.

The initial issue wasn't supply, it was local distribution. We had plenty of stock but getting it out there effectively and efficiently was the challenge. Still, as of a few days ago 761 million items of PPE had been delivered to 58,000 different settings across the UK. Has it been perfect? No. Has any nation managed a perfect supply chain throughout this? No (except possibly those producing PPE en masse). Was this ever going to be perfectly managed, anywhere? No. But - not disregarding instances of shortages - have the vast majority of NHS staff had access to PPE equipment? Yes.

But let's also look at supply. The main producers of PPE - China, South Korea, Japan and others - were not only in lockdown, but they also blocked exports of PPE at various stages to protect their own interests (understandable). China even effectively nationalised the Shanghai 3M plant - and others - to prevent exports. Furthermore, China actually IMPORTED 2.5 billion pieces of PPE equipment in Feb/Mar from the EU, Australia and others - stockpiling. Add to that the billions of masks purchased by the public across Asia and later the world, and immediately available stocks are almost wiped out globally.

As an example of the challenges being faced, we have the current issue with gowns. Sufficient stock has been ordered (surprise, surprise - from China). But some has been mislabelled at source and others have failed safety tests and so supplies are low in some areas. Another example of the reliance on cheap but poor quality goods from China backfiring - as we have also seen with equipment and indeed tests across Europe, where millions of Chinese COVID19 tests had to be binned after being found to be useless.

Yes, in an ideal world every nurse, doctor, carer, etc, etc would have an unlimited supply of the very best PPE on tap - and by saying that in absolutely no way do I underestimate the challenges and dangers they are facing. Our NHS staff are outstanding and deserve every plaudit being sent their way (as well as a pay rise). But this is far from an ideal world; it's a feckin global pandemic and the entire planet is stretched. To expect everything to run perfectly is naive.

If there's one thing we must learn from this, it's that reliance on globalisation and cheap but shoddy Chinese/Asian markets is damaging. We've shipped our industries and jobs over there, leaving us exposed when it matters.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: wrencat1873 "On the subject of government advisors, it was clear from the start that, Boris Johnson chose to flank himself with 2 health experts, so that he couldn't be blamed if things didn't go to plan.
Quite amazing that "we will go with the science" on this one but, on EVERY other aspect of government, they do as they please.
The scientists and experts on climate change, still remain largely ignored and if they are correct, the effects of the world heating up could be equally as catastrophic, albeit, not necessarily in the UK.

The UK is on course to suffer the highest number of deaths in Europe, despite Germany and France having larger populations, Germany seemingly getting through this rather better than the UK.

Lets see how it all unfolds and hope that the peak is getting very close and that at some point in the next few weeks, the light at the end of the tunnel will get a little brighter.'"

You do say some good stuff, but you also roll out some rubbish.

"Boris Johnson chose to flank himself with 2 health experts, so that he couldn't be blamed if things didn't go to plan"

Imagine what you'd come out with if we went to war, "Boris chose to flank himself with the military so he couldn't be blamed, etc..." icon_wink.gif icon_lol.gif

Of course the quality aspect is a sweeping statement but whether it's cheap Chinese crap such as 'tech', plastic gadgets or other devices, poor quality steel, faulty COVID19 tests, third-party call centres/help desks, poor quality clothing, or a frustrating conversation with "Kevin" in 'customer support' with an Indian accent so thick you can barely understand one another - exporting jobs, manufacturing and services overseas has always been something I've been heavily opposed too - and I've received no end of abuse for those views on here - a left-wing dominated forum - in the past for that sentiment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4647
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50733_1530270912.jpg
[color=#000000:ogl9gbum]"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."[/color:ogl9gbum]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50733.jpg

Quote: Cronus "Not just deindustrialisation though, is it - for which there have been many reasons since the 60s, though I'm sure you and the rest blame the Tories - it's been the export of jobs from all sectors in favour of cheap labour and operating markets. It began with manufacturing, then since the 2000s we've seen almost any job that can be carried out via remote consumer contact similarly shipped overseas - call centres & helpdesks being the prime example.

But anyway, the 'We' would be heads of industry who favour cost savings over quality produce and UK jobs. It would be successive governments who have favoured 'globalisation' over everything else. Dare I say it: 'Britain First' henceforth?
I agree with most of what you say regarding the outsourcing of work and jobs, but isn't that just capitalism and market forces working as they should? Entrepreneurial spirit in action? That's what the UK have been signed up to for the last 40+ years. Some have benefitted, hugely. Plenty have lost out. I'd like nothing more than to be able to buy things again that not only say Made in England on the label, but like one of my vintage tweed jackets, says Styled and Made in Hebden Bridge, Yorkshire, England. Ask why this can't return, and you get the same old "it's too expensive to make it in Britain". Expensive British manufacturing has become normalised.

In the early 2000s, I used to deal with a bloke who was made redundant from heavy industry and went into web design. Fair play to him for making such a radical change, but I had to ask him how he ended up making such a change. He knew nothing about design, had never touched a web design software package, and thought search engine optimisation involved higher octane petrol. His reply? "I just take a detailed brief, flesh it out with instructions, email it to India, then a few weeks later it goes live, and any changes get made once it's online". The same globalisation which made him redundant also helped him earn again in his last years of employment. No consolation for the thousands of web designers graduating around that time.

It's like anything, there has to be a balance. Unfortunately, the majority of people who preach 'Buy British' are the same people who cheerlead captains of industry, who have shipped their enterprises overseas, and the same people who proudly buy traditional British brands, not realising they are now owned by Spanish investment companies or Indian multinational corporations.

Now the Britannia Unchained crowd are at the levers of power, do you think globalisation and leaving it to market forces will be scaled back a bit, or do you think they'll 'ramp it up'? There Is No Alternative, apparently.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Scarlet Pimpernell "If only the same leeway was applied to Labour. When Brown was PM he purchased a large supply of a pandemic vaccine and was ridiculed by the right wing press for doing so.
I have not seen the same criticism of the current government who purchased faulty tests from China without a sell back clause. This cost several millions, the reason was honourable but the contract was bad.
I have a question why did the Daughter of Gove receive a test which came back clear so he could return to exercising. He is not vital to the running of the country so I guess a little favouritism was used. It would be better if the test had been used for someone caring for the old because they are at least performing a useful task and deserve the protection.'"

So are suggesting those running the country are less valuable than someone working in a care home?

RankPostsTeam
International Star5219
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201411 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

i think we all know the answer to this.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

[list
Quote: Scarlet Pimpernell "If only the same leeway was applied to Labour. When Brown was PM he purchased a large supply of a pandemic vaccine and was ridiculed by the right wing press for doing so.
I have not seen the same criticism of the current government who purchased faulty tests from China without a sell back clause. This cost several millions, the reason was honourable but the contract was bad.
I have a question why did the Daughter of Gove receive a test which came back clear so he could return to exercising. He is not vital to the running of the country so I guess a little favouritism was used. It would be better if the test had been used for someone caring for the old because they are at least performing a useful task and deserve the protection.'"
Yes, Brown was criticised in the press for purchasing swine flu vaccines - but not widely beyond the usual inflammatory press as far as I recall. It was largely seen as a sensible move thankfully rendered unnecessary. Remember, the press do not always reflect public opinion - as we've seen with their nit-picking criticism of police enforcement of the lockdown. The public are so overwhelmingly in support of the police and enforcing the lockdown, one wonders why the press would dare go on the attack.

Hard to comment on the purchase of faulty COVID19 tests without having been behind the scenes. Perhaps the Chinese insisted on a 'sold as seen' basis knowing the world's governments are desperate? Other countries are going through the exact same problem with Chinese test orders right now. Who knows. Perhaps instead we should be aiming any anger at the feckin con artists who sold us duff tests, and reconsidering our future relationships?

As for Gove - see, this is the sort of irrelevant crap the left bang on about. Gove is a member of the Cabinet. Like it or not, he has a far more senior standing in the running of the country than pretty much all of us, and things run better when the Cabinet is functioning and able to make decisions. I have no issue with his daughter being tested - or indeed family members of the Cabinet if they are displaying symptoms. Statistically it's an utterly insignificant number of tests in the grand scheme of things. Yes, in reality it's probably as much for Gove's peace of mind as it is to allow him to keep working but again - like it or not, seniority has its privileges. Whatever, move on, it really doesn't matter. He got the nod for the test from Whitty and that will do for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Cronus "Like I said a few weeks ago, too many here are too biased or not paying attention.

In almost every briefing I've seen attended by Whitty and Vallance, they have openly and honestly referenced the global shortage of PPE and the difficulties in distribution and supply, as well as the difficulties faced by procurement. You must have somehow missed all of this. Yes, as you mention, China was in lockdown - but that's just part of the issue.

The initial issue wasn't supply, it was local distribution. We had plenty of stock but getting it out there effectively and efficiently was the challenge. Still, as of a few days ago 761 million items of PPE had been delivered to 58,000 different settings across the UK. Has it been perfect? No. Has any nation managed a perfect supply chain throughout this? No (except possibly those producing PPE en masse). Was this ever going to be perfectly managed, anywhere? No. But - not disregarding instances of shortages - have the vast majority of NHS staff had access to PPE equipment? Yes.

But let's also look at supply. The main producers of PPE - China, South Korea, Japan and others - were not only in lockdown, but they also blocked exports of PPE at various stages to protect their own interests (understandable). China even effectively nationalised the Shanghai 3M plant - and others - to prevent exports. Furthermore, China actually IMPORTED 2.5 billion pieces of PPE equipment in Feb/Mar from the EU, Australia and others - stockpiling. Add to that the billions of masks purchased by the public across Asia and later the world, and immediately available stocks are almost wiped out globally.

As an example of the challenges being faced, we have the current issue with gowns. Sufficient stock has been ordered (surprise, surprise - from China). But some has been mislabelled at source and others have failed safety tests and so supplies are low in some areas. Another example of the reliance on cheap but poor quality goods from China backfiring - as we have also seen with equipment and indeed tests across Europe, where millions of Chinese COVID19 tests had to be binned after being found to be useless.

Yes, in an ideal world every nurse, doctor, carer, etc, etc would have an unlimited supply of the very best PPE on tap - and by saying that in absolutely no way do I underestimate the challenges and dangers they are facing. Our NHS staff are outstanding and deserve every plaudit being sent their way (as well as a pay rise). But this is far from an ideal world; it's a feckin global pandemic and the entire planet is stretched. To expect everything to run perfectly is naive.

If there's one thing we must learn from this, it's that reliance on globalisation and cheap but shoddy Chinese/Asian markets is damaging. We've shipped our industries and jobs over there, leaving us exposed when it matters.'"

Dont know if this is the post that you wanted me to read.

You are letting Hancock and Patel off the hook completely.

As you suggest, the "story" that has been fed to us is that "there IS sufficient PPE to go round" and that any issues with lack of "equipment" is purely down to distribution and nothing at all to do with being a little slow out of the blocks or to do with not having sufficient.

There is an attempt to throw telephone numbers of total numbers of PPE is playground stuff and the bottom line is it doesn't matter how many boxes or pallets there are in a central warehouse, the equipment needs to be in the right place at the right time.
Of course, this cant all be controlled at government level, it's an absolutely huge task of procurement and distribution, made all the more difficult by both the urgency of the situation and world demand plus, problems in manufacture.
However, why not have some honesty instead of the "it's not our fault", which is all that the government ministers have said, deflecting all blame away from themselves.

As for being flanked by experts, you clearly aren't a cynical as me (probably a good thing) but, for all other government issues, they are usually happy to take their advice in private and then decide policy and while accepting that the current crisis is on a whole new level, given the crap that Johnson & Co have come up with of so many previous occasions, you can easily see that, given the gravity of the situation, they dont want any of the brown stuff sticking to them.

566 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
566 posts in 39 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.73828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
Recent
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
37s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
47s
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
55s
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
1m
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
1m
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
1m
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
1m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
2m
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
2m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 2,762 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       Championship 2024-R29
15:00
Bradford
v
Featherstone
       League One 2024-R26
Keighley
v
Hunslet
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22