FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Brexit Anyone ? (part 3)
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3829
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18686.jpg
In Springfield, they're eating the dogs, the people that came in. They're eating the cats! They're eating the pets!:18686.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Sometimes in life you get what you deserve and for all the lying, misleading campaigning (from both sides), "we" probably deserve the mess that we now appear to have.'"

Who is this "we" you refer to, because, I sure as hell don't, the only people who deserve this mess are those that voted to leave the E.U. & the Tories who gave us the vote, just to placate the right wing so they wouldn't vote UKIP.

Quote: wrencat1873 "At this point we should just take our medicine and get on with life.
We will probably be poorer in the short/medium term but, everyone knew this when the referendum took place.'"

Spoken like a true "leaver", however, shouldn't that read medium / long term?

As for everyone knowing it was going to be bad initially, that's not true is it, it was going to be glorious from the get-go according to Farage & Co.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17960
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: The Devil's Advocate "Who is this "we" you refer to, because, I sure as hell don't, the only people who deserve this mess are those that voted to leave the E.U. & the Tories who gave us the vote, just to placate the right wing so they wouldn't vote UKIP.

Spoken like a true "leaver", however, shouldn't that read medium / long term?

As for everyone knowing it was going to be bad initially, that's not true is it, it was going to be glorious from the get-go according to Farage & Co.'"

The "we" that I refer to is the voting public, which due to our democratic system is everyone.
As for me being "leaver", get a grip man. I may not be the sharpest tool in the box but, at least I saw the storm coming and despite the many flaws within the EU, we are/were still better as part of it.

Regarding everything being bad from the get go, unfortunately, everyone was told that we would be in for an economic shock but the leave brigade said that it was a price worth paying to "take back control".

The saddest irony of all is that a referendum, designed to prevent a split within the Tory party had caused more of a rift since the result and IF Cameron hgad had the balls to tell Farage to go and play with his friends, at least we would have only had 10 years of austerity forced upon us, rather than the crap that is still to come.

Rees Mogg and Boris have moved their fortunes overseas (irony overload) to protect them selves from any economic downturn and yet they still pretend that everything is going to be great.

It's quite sad how the Tory elite have mannaged to convince the working man that they should follow Farage and in this sense, for being so blindingly stupid, "we" get what we deserve.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3829
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18686.jpg
In Springfield, they're eating the dogs, the people that came in. They're eating the cats! They're eating the pets!:18686.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "As for me being "leaver", get a grip man. '"

Ha, ha, I didn't claim you voted leave, however you are chanting their mantra of short term gain for long term gain.

You seem to be at peace with the whole fiasco & happy to move on, I on the other hand, will never get over this right wing coup, who have used the poorest people in the country to facilitate this debacle.

As I have stated before, if we don't stay in the E.U. I hope we end up with a No Deal scenario, because as you say "we" get what "we" deserve.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Whether we like it or not there was a democratic vote - lies were spouted on both sides leading up to the vote and the leave campaign provided a marginally more compelling argument.

If the vote is overturned it will have significant impact on the "democratic" process. The idea that because the politicians don't like the outcome means they can circumnavigate/manipulate the result to get their way is a dangerous situation. It makes the UK akin to the despots in Africa who refuse to accept the democratic process.

What happens when the next general election doesn't go the right way do the politicians simply ignore the result?

RankPostsTeam
International Star17960
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Whether we like it or not there was a democratic vote - lies were spouted on both sides leading up to the vote and the leave campaign provided a marginally more compelling argument.

If the vote is overturned it will have significant impact on the "democratic" process. The idea that because the politicians don't like the outcome means they can circumnavigate/manipulate the result to get their way is a dangerous situation. It makes the UK akin to the despots in Africa who refuse to accept the democratic process.

What happens when the next general election doesn't go the right way do the politicians simply ignore the result?'"

I take it by your comment thatb you are happy with the proposed deal ?

As a Leave voter, is it what you wanted/expected ?

Also just getting back to the democratic vote.
In a general election, if/when a party doesnt stay fairly close to their manifesto or, is found to have badly misled the electorate, there can be a vote of no confidence or, another general election.
With this situation, there is no going back, certainly not for a couple of generations (at least) and you could argue that throught the democratic process (ie Parliament), the lies and deliberate misleading of the public (remember the #350 million a week), political scrutiny has actually found holes in the srguement.
Therefore, should we trust the elected members to "do the right thing" and vote the deal down or, expect them to "carry out the will of the people" ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22320No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23521.jpg
[quote="Tarquin Fuego":3e09qe5x] I love Jamie and have done since he was 10 years old. [/quote:3e09qe5x] [quote="The Reason":3e09qe5x]Hi Andy The Rugby Football League are in the process of reviewing the video that you are referring to. We do not condone behaviour of this nature and have contacted the player’s employer, Hull F.C., who have confirmed that they are dealing with the incident under their club rules.     Regards,   Matthew[/quote:3e09qe5x]:23521.jpg

May will lose the commons vote, she won’t call an election but will go to a second referendum.

1. Her negotiated deal.
2. Leave with no deal.
3. Remain.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Well, I'd never heard Tony Benn's views on the EU until today.

Always admired him. icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, he puts it far better than anyone in the Leave campaign ever did. If his speeches had formed part of the campaign we'd have won 80/20. icon_cool.gif

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "I take it by your comment thatb you are happy with the proposed deal ?

As a Leave voter, is it what you wanted/expected ?

Also just getting back to the democratic vote.
In a general election, if/when a party doesnt stay fairly close to their manifesto or, is found to have badly misled the electorate, there can be a vote of no confidence or, another general election.
With this situation, there is no going back, certainly not for a couple of generations (at least) and you could argue that throught the democratic process (ie Parliament), the lies and deliberate misleading of the public (remember the #350 million a week), political scrutiny has actually found holes in the srguement.
Therefore, should we trust the elected members to "do the right thing" and vote the deal down or, expect them to "carry out the will of the people" ?'"

As a leave voted I expected no deal - I could see no way we could have our cake and eat it. Whilst I expected short term pain I did think there were far more long-term benefits.

Are you seriously suggesting that if we left and we went back to Europe in 10 years time they wouldn't have us back?

There were lies and deliberate misleading statements on both sides - you seem to have memory loss on Osborne's the economy will tank immediately and taxes will need to rise significantly immediately.

Your view of trusting the elected members would work if the elected members represented the balance of the vote but as we both know it doesn't so it would work for remainers but doesn't represent the vote. Its like saying the country voted for a Tory government but the elected members decide Labour should form the government.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17960
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "As a leave voted I expected no deal - I could see no way we could have our cake and eat it. Whilst I expected short term pain I did think there were far more long-term benefits.

Are you seriously suggesting that if we left and we went back to Europe in 10 years time they wouldn't have us back?
'"

Interesting stuff.

IF we wanted to go back, like you, I'm sure that a way could be found for the UK to re-join the EU but, the terms of our re-entry would be without doubt far worse than we have now.

I'm still surprised that, despite the size and historical strength of our ecconomy, people still want to have us withdraw to our small island(s) and
"take the world on" by ourselves d040.gif

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: wrencat1873 "Interesting stuff.

IF we wanted to go back, like you, I'm sure that a way could be found for the UK to re-join the EU but, the terms of our re-entry would be without doubt far worse than we have now.

I'm still surprised that, despite the size and historical strength of our ecconomy, people still want to have us withdraw to our small island(s) and
"take the world on" by ourselves

If we stay in our deal will only get worse especially if the EU continues to add countries who extract rather than input funds into the EU.

There are plenty of countries that prosper economically that are outside of the EU. I don't understand why with our current platform - yes we are in the EU - we cannot prosper also outside of the EU. Let's be honest the EU has to sell its product somewhere and we buy quite a lot. Not sure BMW/Mercedes are going to be easily able to replace our volumes elsewhere.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31859
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "If we stay in our deal will only get worse especially if the EU continues to add countries who extract rather than input funds into the EU.

There are plenty of countries that prosper economically that are outside of the EU. I don't understand why with our current platform - yes we are in the EU - we cannot prosper also outside of the EU. Let's be honest the EU has to sell its product somewhere and we buy quite a lot. Not sure BMW/Mercedes are going to be easily able to replace our volumes elsewhere.'"

Not sure which countries are about to be invited into the EU? Turkey certainly isn't while Erdogan is imprisoning journalists/anyone he doesn't like. Even before he came along it was unlikely.

We do more trade with the EU than anywhere else and by being part of is manage to share costs for heaps of things that we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford on our own. The argument about buying cars from Germany has already fallen flat since those companies have already gone on record saying they don't want to jeopardise the single market. We'll just have to pay more for them.

Our current deal where we have a veto and rebate is pretty good. Better in fact than anyone else in it.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17960
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Bullseye "Not sure which countries are about to be invited into the EU? Turkey certainly isn't while Erdogan is imprisoning journalists/anyone he doesn't like. Even before he came along it was unlikely.

We do more trade with the EU than anywhere else and by being part of is manage to share costs for heaps of things that we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford on our own. The argument about buying cars from Germany has already fallen flat since those companies have already gone on record saying they don't want to jeopardise the single market. We'll just have to pay more for them.

Our current deal where we have a veto and rebate is pretty good. Better in fact than anyone else in it.'"

Agreed

It's also astonishing that the 27 EU nations managed to ratify the proposal in 40 minutes and yet "our" government is still in utter dissaray.

Assuming thet this doen't make it through parliament, do we then crash out with "no deal" and if so, what happens to the Irish border.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

I think that Sheldon probably has it about right - since there is no way that the Maybot will call a GE anytime soon; she'd consign the Tories to opposition for years.

I don't necessarily support a People's Vote, but given that the Tories will cling to power like rats on a sinking ship, I think it's the only option we'll get once the HoC rejects the deal.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: wrencat1873 "Agreed

It's also astonishing that the 27 EU nations managed to ratify the proposal in 40 minutes and yet "our" government is still in utter dissaray.

Assuming thet this doen't make it through parliament, do we then crash out with "no deal" and if so, what happens to the Irish border.'"

Its obvious - this is a great deal for one side and not the other.

The idea that we are tied in to the back stop unless we let the all of Europe into our waters to take our fish and we let the Spanish have Gibraltor - that is the reality.

We would be better off with no deal than the restrictions the EU will put on us to get out of the back stop

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Bullseye "Not sure which countries are about to be invited into the EU? Turkey certainly isn't while Erdogan is imprisoning journalists/anyone he doesn't like. Even before he came along it was unlikely.

Our current deal where we have a veto and rebate is pretty good. Better in fact than anyone else in it.'"

Well done Margaret Thatcher.

What are these cost savings we couldn't achieve?

You argument is flawed as there are heaps of countries outside of the EU that mange to trade very happily with the EU why couldn't we?

1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

1.751953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
2025 Squad Discussion
Bullseye
5m
2025 Season tickets
Bullseye
44m
Championship Play Off Final
Wildthing
Recent
England Test squad
leeds owl
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
Recent
Film game
Wanderer
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Captain Hook
23s
Championship Play Off Final
Wildthing
23s
2025 Squad Discussion
Bullseye
26s
Comparison with Wigan 17
Captain Hook
36s
England Vs Samoa Test Series
Jack Burton
41s
Terrace wear
retrosports
46s
Thompson
tyr
53s
Play-off Semi Final Toulouse A
dboy
1m
Danny Sculthorpe
PopTart
1m
Radio Leeds
WT_Midlander
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
A Little Respect
retrosports
TODAY
Terrace wear
retrosports
TODAY
Jerrys Last Ever Game
dboy
TODAY
Radio Leeds
WT_Midlander
TODAY
England Vs Samoa Test Series
Jack Burton
TODAY
England Test squad
leeds owl
TODAY
Danny Sculthorpe
PopTart
TODAY
2025 Season tickets
Bullseye
TODAY
The Lobster
BigTime
TODAY
WTH Podcast Awards
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Wigan Want More
MadDogg
TODAY
Hunslet Secure Promotion After Defeating Swinton
RLFANS News
TODAY
2025 Squad Discussion
Bullseye
TODAY
Trinity Into Play Off Final After Battle With York
RLFANS News
TODAY
Thompson
tyr
TODAY
Comparison with Wigan 17
Captain Hook
TODAY
Crowd Funding
jbuzza
TODAY
Wigan v Wire in Vegas
rubber ducki
TODAY
Twix wrappers
MidlandsWarr
TODAY
Burgess
Cruncher
TODAY
5 hours
NickyKiss
TODAY
Harry Smith
jonh
TODAY
Wigan Warriors Crowned Champions Again in 2024
rollin thund
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hunslet Secure Promotion After..
Trinity Into Play Off Final Af..
Wigan Warriors Crowned Champio..
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,186 80,14014,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 19th Oct
       Championship 2024-R31
19:00
Wakefield
v
Toulouse
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 13th Oct
CH 30 Swinton10-6Hunslet
CH 30 Wakefield22-13York
CH 30 Toulouse21-20Bradford
Sat 12th Oct
SL 30 Hull KR2-9Wigan
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 29 768 338 430 48
Hull KR 29 731 344 387 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 27 1032 275 757 52
Toulouse 26 765 388 377 37
Bradford 28 723 420 303 36
York 29 695 501 194 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22