JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Mar 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
20333_1393344959.gif
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid. Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal. Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_20333.gif

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking and looking into different ways of saving for the future (I'm 27) and really confused as to which is best, seeing as there are quite a few intelligent posters on here I thought I'd ask on here.

Do I start my own pension? Shares? Buy gold? 2nd home to rent out?

Any help will be welcome, thanks in advance.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1122_1318449976.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, When I paint my masterpiece ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:k4m40udg]The Jerry Chicken Blog Page[/url:k4m40udg] ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://www.artgallery.co.uk/artist/gary_kitchen_2:k4m40udg]BUY MY ART ONLINE AT ARTGALLERY.CO.UK[/url:k4m40udg] [url=https://theartonlinegallery.com/artist/garykitch/:k4m40udg]AT THE RIPPINGHAM GALLERY[/url:k4m40udg] .................................................................... [url=http://art-profiles.com/gary-kitchen/:k4m40udg]ART PROFILE[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://twitter.com/GaryKitch:k4m40udg]On Twitter[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://www.facebook.com/gary.kitchen2:k4m40udg]On Facebook[/url:k4m40udg] ...................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1122.jpg

Be wary is the best advice.

Be wary of "professional" financial advisors who are required by law to declare an interest in any product they recommend, that law is there for a reason, its not your profit they are necessarily interested in.

Be wary of anyone who promises any get-rich quick investments, there is no such thing.

Be wary of banks who promise you the world with their investment products and while not breaking the law may not be totally demonstrative about the level of fees they charge either as a "management" fee or as a penalty if you change your mind.

My only advice would be the same advice that I gave my eldest, DO save something even if you don't know where to put it yet, she has a simple deposit account that pays a small amount of interest with no costs attached (or none that are taken after they've calculated the declared interest rate) and she's now in the habit of saving a decent sum of money every month towards a property deposit in the next few years - its a start.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

If you have half a brain, I would say do it yourself. Sign up with the excellent Hargreaves Lansdowne site, and you can set up and manage your own SIP, ISA, etc., with a choice of literally thousands of investments.

Read up as much as you can about the investments (the site has more info than you could shake a stick at) and then make your own choice. You can't do any worse than the so-called financial advisers who would pretty much all have ended up with you doing your bo11ocks in big style over the past few decades, and they aren't really interested in anyone without huge wedges anyway. Whereas the beauty of the HL website is you can invest as much or as little as often or as infrequently as you like, (well, most unit trusts etc do have a min. of £1K, but you know what I mean) and deal to please yourself whenever you like. Start in a modest way and have a go, get the hang, and go from there.

tb
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman48326
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1357.jpg
[b:34xc0vwf]Doubt everything, even this[/b:34xc0vwf]:1357.jpg

I feel strangely obliged to point out that RLFans is not registered with, nor regulated by, the FSA and is not qualified to offer financial advice

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

I'd be inclined to invest in the cheapest tracker fund(s). Just need to decide which index you wish to track. I have used a deicretionary fund manager for years. All that happens is that they deduct value - as costs are a huge drag on performance. In good times their fees are hidden but in bad times they take a few thousand a year and you get no return. The whole investment management industry is pointless and deducts value from its customers. I just can't be bothered doing it myself but its expensive!

tb
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman48326
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Oct 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1357.jpg
[b:34xc0vwf]Doubt everything, even this[/b:34xc0vwf]:1357.jpg

The same applies to most, if not all, of our posters.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Apr 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Buy a house in a student area. Rent it out to 3 or 4 students at £300 pcm each.

You will pay your mortgage and generate a reasonable profit. Just remember that any income from this should be declared to the tax man. icon_wink.gif I know loads of people who rent houses out and don't declare the income!

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: The Video Ref "Buy a house in a student area. Rent it out to 3 or 4 students at £300 pcm each.

You will pay your mortgage and generate a reasonable profit. Just remember that any income from this should be declared to the tax man.
Dont forget to factor in changing the carpets, beds and kitchen cabinets once every year, at this time of year the streets of Headingley are rammed full of skips full of junked furniture as landlords try and get the premises ready for the autumn term. icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman587
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Dec 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[color=#FF0000:1h9kz7p7]Always read the small print...[/color:1h9kz7p7]:

Quote: tb "I feel strangely obliged to point out that RLFans is not registered with, nor regulated by, the FSA and is not qualified to offer financial advice'"

Damn... I was just about to refer the site to our Enforcement Division lol

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1521No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2013Dec 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

If you have the money to buy a 2nd property, then do so to rent out. bricks and mortar is the future, majority of people cannot afford to buy.

Stocks and shares, then you are gambling on something ( I presume) you know little or nothing about. Apologies if you do.

Pension schemes..avoid like the plague. You've got 40 years until retirement, though no doubt it will be 50 when your terms. A bloke who you don't know from Adam, will give you a load of bull as to how much you will get if you pay in x amount/ month. Don't believe him. I've lost count of the number of people I know who have been told, " the schemes have not performed as expected." and end up getting a lower figure every month. Pension schemes are as big a con trick as the pyramid scheme.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5463No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45658_1356296105.jpg
[color=#FF0000:1fnfdzuc]Wigan vs Leeds finals aggregate score. Wigan 178 - 64 Leeds Wigan wins - 6 Leeds wins - 0[/color:1fnfdzuc] I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum. Don't you struggle. Don't you fight. Don't you worry, cause it's your turn tonight! Esse quam videri.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45658.jpg

Walnuts!!!! Get it all on Walnuts!

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/status ... ector.html

Being serious for moment. One's hobbies and interests depending upon what they are, can be fantastic investment opportunities. You'll be more knowledgeable on the investments you've made if they are a hobby of yours. A friend of mine has always had a large interest in military history. And has over the last few years turned that into a way to store his life savings. With great success. To use management speak, people are looking outside the box, outside traditional investments for way's to store and generate funds.

You only have to look at my avatar to tell you what I've got all my life savings invested in. Being able to enjoy my savings knowing that I can cash them in at the the drop of a hat. Suits me and my lifestyle perfectly.

The day's are gone when large sums of money can be left in an account to generate a healthy interest. Hell! If the bank goes under you won't get back the amount they were holding (£8k maximum iirc).

Still as others have said a second home is the route to go down. icon_thumb.gif

Just how lucrative that is, when unless you've got the time you'll have to use a lettings agency, plus the reasonable chance that the place may well require some maintenance now and again. We all know what student's are like, most of us were one at sometime. Or am I just condemning my former rowdy self.
Walnuts!!!! Get it all on Walnuts!

uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/status ... ector.html

Being serious for moment. One's hobbies and interests depending upon what they are, can be fantastic investment opportunities. You'll be more knowledgeable on the investments you've made if they are a hobby of yours. A friend of mine has always had a large interest in military history. And has over the last few years turned that into a way to store his life savings. With great success. To use management speak, people are looking outside the box, outside traditional investments for way's to store and generate funds.

You only have to look at my avatar to tell you what I've got all my life savings invested in. Being able to enjoy my savings knowing that I can cash them in at the the drop of a hat. Suits me and my lifestyle perfectly.

The day's are gone when large sums of money can be left in an account to generate a healthy interest. Hell! If the bank goes under you won't get back the amount they were holding (£8k maximum iirc).

Still as others have said a second home is the route to go down. icon_thumb.gif

Just how lucrative that is, when unless you've got the time you'll have to use a lettings agency, plus the reasonable chance that the place may well require some maintenance now and again. We all know what student's are like, most of us were one at sometime. Or am I just condemning my former rowdy self.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg

Quote: Live Wired "If you have the money to buy a 2nd property, then do so to rent out. bricks and mortar is the future, majority of people cannot afford to buy.

Stocks and shares, then you are gambling on something ( I presume) you know little or nothing about. Apologies if you do.

Pension schemes..avoid like the plague. You've got 40 years until retirement, though no doubt it will be 50 when your terms. A bloke who you don't know from Adam, will give you a load of bull as to how much you will get if you pay in x amount/ month. Don't believe him. I've lost count of the number of people I know who have been told, " the schemes have not performed as expected." and end up getting a lower figure every month. Pension schemes are as big a con trick as the pyramid scheme.'"

Not a great time to buy property, IMO. Rental yields of just 5% with the likelihood of capital depreciation over the next decade. When my mate bought his last house he was getting 15% and rampant capital appreciation. Those days have gone for the forseeable. Having said that, you can do well in certain areas with local knowledge.

The stock market has also gone nowhere for quite some years. However, longer term it should, logically speaking, provide the best returns (IMO). My reasoning, is that that companies and businesses drive the economy and large companies are by definition successful companies.

The only good thing about pension schemes is the fact that if you are a higher rate tax payer it only costs you £60 to save each £100. But, the big problem and complete con is that the insurance companies take all of your capital, which you never get back (unless you die before taking benefits and have a return of fund scheme, when the capital can go to your dependents - still not you!).

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1437No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
995.gif
"If the American people knew tonight, exactly how the monetary and banking system worked, there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning." -Abraham Lincoln:995.gif

Quote: Live Wired "If you have the money to buy a 2nd property, then do so to rent out. bricks and mortar is the future, majority of people cannot afford to buy.

'"

IMO this is terrible advice - house prices are being kept artificially inflated by the current ultra low interest rates and other help being afforded to mortgage holders atm.

If/when the Euro pops there will be another huge financial crisis which should see huge falls in house prices as people default on mortgages and get their homes reposessed.

Personally I'd be looking to buy PHYSICAL Gold or Silver if I had any savings. However you then have the problem of where to store it safely. It's a tough question in the current economic climate.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg

Quote: LeighGionaire "

Personally I'd be looking to buy PHYSICAL Gold or Silver if I had any savings. However you then have the problem of where to store it safely. It's a tough question in the current economic climate.'"

Problem is gold and silver are very volatile price-wise. They will at some point drop suddenly and dramatically. If you think we are heading for financial Armageddon the best investment (probably the only investment) to make would be farmland (plus a gun to protect you / it with).

SBR
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5064
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/bones.jpg
(23:25:06) Thecko: who'd want to rent a book? (23:25:10) Thecko: oh, libraries :oops::Others/bones.jpg

Quote: Dally "The only good thing about pension schemes is the fact that if you are a higher rate tax payer it only costs you £60 to save each £100.'"

If you pay into your pension via salary sacrifice you can get £120 added to your pension for every £60 reduction in your net pay (the additional £60 comes from income tax + employers NI). It's roughly similar for basic rate tax payers: income tax + employees NI contributions + employers NI contributions add up to around the same amount.

16 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
16 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.177734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
9m
Rumours thread
Dunkirk Spir
12m