FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Employability Training in this country pointless?
21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34476.jpg
//peakwalking.blogspot.co.uk/:34476.jpg

I thought I’d generate a debate..

Learn how to create a CV, be educated on how to conduct yourself in an interview, embrace the cult of positivism and you’re on the way to securing yourself a job. Unfortunately most of the education sector in Britain doesn’t teach the kids these vital skills and that’s why so many of them end up in the dole queue. The solution of course is to provide employability training in schools so that unemployment will be driven out of existence for good.

This could become a reality thanks to Hayley Taylor of channel fours Fairy Jobmother fame been awarded "The Yorkshire Woman of Achievement for Education 2012” at a big event earlier this year. Via her personal blog she used this opportunity to “[irlstick two fingers up to all those that have underestimated her over the years and thought she would never achieve anything in liferl[/i”. She certainly puts Alan Partridge to shame when it comes to been dignified in celebration.

In all seriousness though, the education sector is been unfairly demonised by an industry looking for an easy scapegoat for its own failings. For example take a look at this rlguardian articlerl where the deluded Tim Thomas claims that “[iyoung people coming out of schools are ill-prepared for the workplace[/i”. The reality of course is that the economy is ill-prepared to equip young people with jobs when they come out of this countries education system.

Time and time again I read and listen to antidotes that employability needs to get into schools. This would be all fine and dandy for the employability brigade because it would mean more work for them but would it really improve things?

For me the schools, colleges and universities of this country are a lot more successful at equipping young people for the working world than these employability type companies. So why does the government keep insisting on funding the likes of A4e and other providers?

PS – I have a job and waiting for a start date so let’s not make this debate personal please!

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Dec 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[url:33s610on]https://twitter.com/#!/Robbo_Wigan[/url:33s610on]:

I was taught how to write a CV in school and we also had practice interviews with real employers and given feedback to help better ourselves for the real thing. Don't really know what your trying to say. Does every school not do this?

I think the lack of jobs is the reason for long queue's at the dole office rather than the amount of people being unable to write a CV.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11757No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
34476.jpg
//peakwalking.blogspot.co.uk/:34476.jpg

Quote: Robbo "I was taught how to write a CV in school and we also had practice interviews with real employers and given feedback to help better ourselves for the real thing. Don't really know what your trying to say. Does every school not do this?

I think the lack of jobs is the reason for long queue's at the dole office rather than the amount of people being unable to write a CV.'"

Likewise I was taught the basics in school which was enough. The CV that I did at school and later improved at college was only to be ‘dumbed down’ by a government employability provider. What I’m trying to say is that these government employability providers are scapegoating schools for their own failings to get people into work. This country would be better off without the likes of them.

I agree that lack of jobs is the reason for the long queues at the dole office. I’m sure we’ll get someone in the debate soon who doesn’t agree.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

When I left school (in 1974) I didn't know what a CV was, and neither did anyone else for that matter for the phrase had yet to be invented.

It sufficed for employers that they put a job advert in the local newspaper and it was assumed that those who applied were actually interested enough to hand write a letter, stick a stamp on it and walk to the post box - you didn't do that just to satisfy some form-filler down at the job centre, which wasn't called a job centre by the way, it was the labour exchange.

You also didn't have to reel off a long list of qualifications for as a school leaver it was generally accepted that your first employer would handle your training regime, indeed it was generally accepted that if you employed a 16 year old you were getting the raw material from which to mould someone who would become valuable to your organisation in three to four years time during which you'd be expected to train them yourself and to pay for their further education fees - for that commitment it was generally accepted by school leavers that they'd stay in the job until they were old enough to apply elsewhere with some worthwhile experience, didn't always work that way of course but generally thats what happened, you took a job, you stuck at it and neither you nor your employer expected you to be MD of the company anytime soon.

I can't help thinking that it was a better way to perform in that school leavers actually had a value to a company and that value was one that would be recouped several years down the line and to that end most company's would recruit school leavers on a regular basis to ensure a through put of trainees in the organisation.

And thats all without mentioning trade apprenticeships which had legally binding (often five year) indentures.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16260
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Yes its down to a lack of demand in the economy that there are so many long queues at the dole office. Yes there is always a pool of people that have had a very poor education and seriously lack skills and so are unemployable, but the skills situation did not suddenly change in 2008, and the UK had relatively low unemployment from around 1996 to 2008 and now it has spiked up again, and if demand picked up it would probably drop back down to the levels it was before 2008.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach20628
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44480_1390845286.jpg
It's been fun.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_44480.jpg

Quote: Robbo "I was taught how to write a CV in school and we also had practice interviews with real employers and given feedback to help better ourselves for the real thing. '"

Me too, i still remember one comment

[iSuit too big[/i

I wore my dads suit because i didn't have one, even though we were the same height i was 11 stone and he was 17 icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "When I left school (in 1974) I didn't know what a CV was, and neither did anyone else for that matter for the phrase had yet to be invented.

It sufficed for employers that they put a job advert in the local newspaper and it was assumed that those who applied were actually interested enough to hand write a letter, stick a stamp on it and walk to the post box - you didn't do that just to satisfy some form-filler down at the job centre, which wasn't called a job centre by the way, it was the labour exchange.

You also didn't have to reel off a long list of qualifications for as a school leaver it was generally accepted that your first employer would handle your training regime, indeed it was generally accepted that if you employed a 16 year old you were getting the raw material from which to mould someone who would become valuable to your organisation in three to four years time during which you'd be expected to train them yourself and to pay for their further education fees - for that commitment it was generally accepted by school leavers that they'd stay in the job until they were old enough to apply elsewhere with some worthwhile experience, didn't always work that way of course but generally thats what happened, you took a job, you stuck at it and neither you nor your employer expected you to be MD of the company anytime soon.

I can't help thinking that it was a better way to perform in that school leavers actually had a value to a company and that value was one that would be recouped several years down the line and to that end most company's would recruit school leavers on a regular basis to ensure a through put of trainees in the organisation.

And thats all without mentioning trade apprenticeships which had legally binding (often five year) indentures.'"

I love it when you talk about the olden days, Mr Chicken. icon_biggrin.gif

But it's extraordinary, isn't it, how there has been an increasing expectation that education would deliver young people ready-trained into the workplace, instead of employers taking responsibility for the appropriate on-the-job training.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1599No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10603.jpg
Is it true that Richard Agar's favorite movie of all time is Groundhog Day or does he just generally like the same boring s**t day after day, season after season?:10603.jpg

Quote: Mintball "I love it when you talk about the olden days, Mr Chicken.
Let's not forget the role that parents should play in ensuring that their children are ready for the big bad world once they leave school.

I work at an FE college in Hull and deal specifically with 14-16 students. By the time they have completed their 2 years study with us, alongside their normal schooling, the vast majority are ready for the workplace and progress into apprenticeships. The ones who tend to struggle are the students who have been molly coddled by their parents who are picked up and dropped off at college and workplacements and never have to do anything for themselves.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: chico's nose "Let's not forget the role that parents should play in ensuring that their children are ready for the big bad world once they leave school.

I work at an FE college in Hull and deal specifically with 14-16 students. By the time they have completed their 2 years study with us, alongside their normal schooling, the vast majority are ready for the workplace and progress into apprenticeships. The ones who tend to struggle are the students who have been molly coddled by their parents who are picked up and dropped off at college and workplacements and never have to do anything for themselves.'"

That's another thing23 Things They Don't Tell You About Capitalism[/i, an aspect of neo-liberalism. Even in Switzerland, which had historically had very low levels of tertiary education – which clearly had not damaged its economic situation – there has been a trend in recent years to vastly boost tertiary education.

Of course, when you have high unemployment – particularly among young people – it's quite handy to keep them in education.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22214_1285226877.jpg
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. Thank God I'm an atheist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22214.jpg

I'm glad that Damo has not got himself another job.
I hope it is a meaningful one and that it works out OK Damo

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1602.jpg
Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time; Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme. There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify; Political ends, as sad remains, will die.:1602.jpg

To most of the original question: good points. However we want something added to the school curriculum, we have to also remove something. There's only so many hours in the school day. Insist on 3/5 of school time to be on literacy and numeracy for 5 -11 year olds and all other subjects fight for the remnant.

To paraphrase your point, Damo, we need to reflect more on do we want our chidren educated or trained at 16 (I realise it is not a sharp distinction).

As for your last point: "So why does the government keep insisting on funding the likes of A4e and other providers?" Simple : privatisation.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg

Quote: Hillbilly_Red "... To paraphrase your point, Damo, we need to reflect more on do we want our chidren educated or trained at 16 (I realise it is not a sharp distinction)...'"

Excellently put.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman26578
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1408_1377158863.jpg
[url=http://tinyurl.com/xmaschoccy:3awnsnxa][img:3awnsnxa]http://imgur.com/dR3Vl.gif[/img:3awnsnxa][/url:3awnsnxa] [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5335822080&toolid=10001&customid=sitcforum&ext=rugby+league&satitle=rugby+league:3awnsnxa]ebay's Rugby League Bargains[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://pepperkorn.shauctions.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=CAP1:3awnsnxa]Boost Your eBay Sales[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=%26%2334%3Brugby%20league%26%2334%3B&tag=newrugbyleaguestore-21&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738:3awnsnxa]Recommended Amazon Stuff[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2143305-10444737:3awnsnxa]Get a Free Ink Cart!!![/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://tinyurl.com/yettlvv:3awnsnxa]Quins RL T-Shirts, BRAND NEW DESIGNS[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1408.jpg

Quote: Hillbilly_Red "There's only so many hours in the school day.'"

Then why not extend that day? Even if it is just for the last couple of years of high school?
It comes as a huge shock to many kids that they may have to work till 5:30pm and/or start before 9am.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: Big Graeme "Then why not extend that day? Even if it is just for the last couple of years of high school?
It comes as a huge shock to many kids that they may have to work till 5

What? Extend the school day? Who'd teach 'em?

A typical school day used to be: 09.00 start 'til 12.00n then dinnertime 'til 1.30pm then lessons 'til 4.00pm with a break in the morning and afternoon. More often than not teachers would then be engaged in extra-curricular activities on evenings and weekends. Our rugby coach was also our maths teacher, simply because all the PE teachers knew buggerall about Rugby League. The head of maths used to run after-school courses for anyone interested in the subject or who possibly needed more coaching. Many of the teachers were also involved in the youth club too. In fact it was quite possible for anyone to extend their school day until 6.00pm then go on to the youth club.

What happened?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4159No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1602.jpg
Sad preacher nailed upon the coloured door of time; Insane teacher be there reminded of the rhyme. There'll be no mutant enemy we shall certify; Political ends, as sad remains, will die.:1602.jpg

Cod'ead: I taught for 27 years and remember only too well that every hour in the classroom meant an hour at least outside it. Oh, I ran Rugby teams as well.

What a number of commentators forget is what many of us learned by hard experience: for many parents (and many politicians) we cared for the children so they were not on the street. Juveniles are by nature volatile and so keeping them where they could also be taught was a safer option.
Also learning is tiring. Simple

(Now we have after-school clubs and pre-school clubs so lone parents can search for work once the child is 5: not to inmprove education.)

21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

10.533203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
MattyB
9m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
12m