JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: Ajw71 "There are a few situations where it would be possible. For instance if the burglar only brought the goods back because he or she felt guilty about having stolen them or they were useless etc, in this case they would at the time of having taken the goods had the [iintention[/i to permanently deprive the owner of them.

So there are situations when View from the fullback could get his goods back from a burglar.'"

All very interesting, but entirely off the point. In the example under discussion, the fact that the burglar WILL bring the goods back is a Rumsfeldesque "known known", otherwise if you didn't already know that, then obviously, you couldn't pick him. You need to read the case notes more carefully.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach1380No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2013Jul 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10501.gif
Beauty is only skin deep But UGLY goes right down to the bone:10501.gif

I'm with Ajw on this one. A bona fides burglary can take place and post crime circumstances could alter the offenders mindset in such a way that the property could be returned without negating the original intent to permanently deprive. An example of which could be where the offender is known to keep the goods secreted away say in a nearby wheelie bin for collection at a later date. If two separate burglars used that MO and it was known that, if arrested, one would own up to the crime and divulge the whereabouts of the property but the other would deny everything and allow the bin men to dispose of the property, then, again if I was obliged to be burgled, I would chose the former miscreant over the latter.

The case notes actually state " [iSo if you got burgled and the thieves, once caught, offered to return your property, you'd be entirely OK with that "[/i With the emphasis on [ionce caught[/i. In real time that is a future variable outcome which is usually unknown and therefore by definition not a "known known".

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: View from the full back "I'm with Ajw on this one. A bona fides burglary can take place and post crime circumstances could alter the offenders mindset in such a way that the property could be returned without negating the original intent to permanently deprive. An example of which could be where the offender is known to keep the goods secreted away say in a nearby wheelie bin for collection at a later date. If two separate burglars used that MO and it was known that, if arrested, one would own up to the crime and divulge the whereabouts of the property but the other would deny everything and allow the bin men to dispose of the property, then, again if I was obliged to be burgled, I would chose the former miscreant over the latter.

The case notes actually state " [iSo if you got burgled and the thieves, once caught, offered to return your property, you'd be entirely OK with that "[/i With the emphasis on [ionce caught[/i. In real time that is a future variable outcome which is usually unknown and therefore by definition not a "known known".'"

See those trees? That's a wood, that is. The last example was not on the original point, it was a subsequent (and different) hypothesis. You've now come up with a third hypothesis, which is attractive for being so barking, but is equally irrelevant. The only issue so far my post was concerned is the issue to which I was directly replying. Which said I'd pick the one who would return my property over the one who wouldn't.'"

You seem to miss the obvious fact that you cannot pick "the one who would return your property" unless, before the fact, you KNOW who he is.

What you need to do to win this argument is to provide an example of how, in the absence of any other ulterior motive (as I also said), he can be a burglar, if he 100% definitely intends to return your property.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1823
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Apr 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
PDT_AquaTV/pdt-2-79.gif
:PDT_AquaTV/pdt-2-79.gif

Quote: View from the full back "Whilst I can understand why you would not want to use this company again, many others use the same procedure (which is in my opinion wrong) - see Unsolicited Goods Act which[i nearly[/i covers it. But as stated above - they instantly rectified the problem and waived their charges. I would think that this was a good reason to use them again. Other companies might not be so obliging.'"

Ignoring the completely pointless argument about burglars and going back to the original point, it is correct that most (if not all) insurers use the same auto-renewal procedure if you do not contact them. Therefore, the same situation would have happened with the other insurers. I don't feel this is a valid reason to not use the company again.

What gets me is that many of the companies use renewal time and auto-renewal to bump up your premium in the hope of you not bothering to shop around and them making more money out of you. Invariably, if you call to say you do not wish to renew the policy for another year they offer to find a better deal. Sorry, but you had that chance when you sent the renewal through!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif

Quote: LF13 "..
What gets me is that many of the companies use renewal time and auto-renewal to bump up your premium in the hope of you not bothering to shop around and them making more money out of you. Invariably, if you call to say you do not wish to renew the policy for another year they offer to find a better deal. Sorry, but you had that chance when you sent the renewal through!'"

But, these scammers use computer models to make sure they maximise their revenue. It's exactly the same as gas and elec suppliers. They offer great deals to NEW customers and shiit deals to existing customers, because they already know pretty accurately what numbers will stay, what numbers will swop and what the net result will be. So they don't care if you don't renew, so long as their numbers stack up.

Motor insurers use similar models when making compensation settlement offers. They deliberately undervalue, because enough will accept rather than fight for fair compensation, and so they don't care about being landed with the legal bills for those that will not accept an undervalue, as in the overall scheme of things, it doesn't matter.

32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
32 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.0849609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights game v Leeds
Mr Snoodle
17m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Yellow G
17m